April 11, 2010

i grew up in a theater...

...but not in the a-thespian's-stage-is-his-home sort of way.  i literally lived in a restored theater in berkeley, california.

i've long been a strong proponent of skills-based volunteerism, and i have my parents to thank for their selfless example.  i visited my dad last weekend and came across this 1993 article.  although there are a few errors in the piece (e.g., zoe's name is misspelled), it's a great summary of some of the key points of my childhood and the influence my parents had on me.  in 1989, my parents used their professional skills to renovate the julia morgan center for the arts -- the architectural masterpiece and historic building originally designed in 1907 by one of america's great designers.  we did, indeed, live in the one-room caretaker's cottage above stage left, where all our meals were cooked on a portable camping stove.  i love this article because it's peppered with interesting jong trivia on topics like bilingualism, exposure to cross-dressing protagonists, and marriage proposals 25 years in the making.

(click for detail)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I TOTALLY remember that place. I'm glad you posted this, sometimes I wonder if my memory makes things out to be cooler than they were, but that was definitely pretty cool.

kate. said...

Ah yes, the good old days! I remember...