March 16, 2013

Necessary But Not Sufficient

Last month, I had the opportunity to visit The Downtown Project in Las Vegas. The ambitious revitalization of the original downtown area includes sizable investments into infrastructure, education, health, arts, and community. My friend Tony Hsieh, the project's champion, has been telling me about his plans for years, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to visit and see it for myself. I came to Vegas for a program called Catalyst Week, a production of Catalyst Creativ, a Downtown Project company.

The week was a great opportunity to explore the early stages of Downtown Project development (they were just breaking ground on The Shipping Container Park, one of the first large construction projects) and meet some of the people who are driving change on the ground. Recommendations for folks who want to visit: stay in a "crashpad" at The Ogden, eat brunch at Eat and dinner at Le Thai, drink at Commonwealth (best wristbands ever), and buy all the clothes at Coterie.

I was asked to speak on the opening night of the program, and I shared a talk called "Necessary But Not Sufficient: Why Being Smart and Working Hard Aren't Enough." Huge thank you to Amanda and Staci at Catalyst for giving me the opportunity to share my story.

1 comment:

Federico Mossa said...

Super inspiring story Anneke, thanks for sharing. I completely agree with your 2 calls to actions.

All the best,
Federico (admitted to GSB and HBS 10 days ago!)